Mike Higgins from the New England PGA talks with Executive Director of the Massachusetts Golf Association, Jesse Menacham.
Here are some of the highlights from the interview:
- The MGA is one of the oldest golf associations in the country and currently ranks as the seventh largest.
- A local and volunteer-based organization governed by a 26-member executive committee elected annually from its member clubs.
- They have over 360 member clubs and 187,000 golfers.
- The MGA also has an all inclusive membership program that is geared towards golfers of any skill level, male or female.
- The MGA’s partnership with the USGA allows them to carry their national programs on the state-level operating the same handicap system and hosting some of the USGA’s local sectional qualifying tournaments.
- Conducts 12 major championship tournaments each year that range from State, Amateur, or Senior Championships. They also run over 50 qualifying events.
- The MGA Links at Mamantapett is has been owned and operated by MGA for over ten years. It is an 18-hole par 3 facility.
- The Girls Independent Golf League has grown from 50 to 300 girls within the past few years
- Currently working with the Massachusetts Women’s Golf Association to merge their operations and join into one organization