Despite the late arrival of Spring, the golf season will be in full swing soon. Three entry close dates for the 2016 MGA season – for the Four-Ball, Senior Four-Ball and Open Championships – are coming up this month! The Championship Proper season begins on May 2-3 with the playing of the Four-Ball at Framingham Country Club & Hopkinton Country Club.
1) COMMUNICATION – You are receiving this email because you have been involved in covering amateur golf in the past. If you no longer wish to receive information about the MGA and its events, please drop me a note and I will remove you from the list. Conversely, if you have additional writers who will be on the golf beat this summer, please send me their information so that I can add them to the distribution list.
2) CHAMPIONSHIP SCHEDULE – The complete MGA Championship Proper schedule is available HERE . Please note that the 2016 Massachusetts Open Championship will be held on June 13-15 at Worcester Country Club (Worcester) and the 2016 Massachusetts Amateur Championship will follow on July 11-15 at Taconic Golf Club (Williamstown).
3) MGA OPEN MEDIA DAY – SAVE THE DATE – The MGA will be hosting a Massachusetts Open Championship Media Day. This is a great opportunity for media members to visit the host club, hear from the club officials (who will be preparing the course) and past champions and take in a round of golf on a superior golf course. This year’s Media Day will be held on Tuesday, May 17 at Worcester Country Club. Although a schedule of events will be finalized shortly, we are planning for a short press conference at 9:30 a.m. and golf to follow. Space is very limited – especially for golf – so we will most likely secure media spots on a first-come, first-serve basis.
4) USGA QUALIFYING EVENTS – In addition to MGA Championships, the MGA will continue to conduct qualifying rounds for the major men’s and women’s United States Golf Association (USGA) Championships. A complete list of qualifying information can be found HERE .
5) RESULTS & INFORMATION – All event information – including pre- and post-event press releases – will be posted online at www.mgalinks.org following the conclusion of play. We also encourage you to follow us via social media on Twitter (@mgalinks), Facebook (search for Massachusetts Golf Association or click on the direct link located on our home page) and Instagram (mgalinks). We will use those social media vehicles to communicate information to competitors. We will also be posting event photos following the conclusion of all Championships Proper. Those photos can be downloaded and used by members of the media, free of charge.
6) UPCOMING EVENTS – For your convenience, here is a list of important upcoming events for the MGA/USGA Championship programs.
MGA FOUR-BALL – May 2-3
- Framingham CC & Hopkinton CC
- Eligibility: Combined 6.0 HI
- ENTRY CLOSE: April 7
U.S. OPEN – June 16-19
- Oakmont Country Club (PA)
- ENTRY CLOSE: April 27
MGA SENIOR FOUR-BALL – May 23-24
- Cranberry Valley GC & The Captains GC (Starboard)
- Eligibility: Combined 12.0 Handicap Index; Age 55+
- ENTRY CLOSE: April 28
MGA OPEN – June 13-15
- Worcester CC
- Eligibility:2.4 Handicap Index
- ENTRY CLOSE: April 21
U.S. WOMEN’S OPEN – July 7-10
- CordeValle (CA)
- ENTRY CLOSE: May 4
MGA AMATEUR – July 11-15
- Taconic Golf Club
- Eligibility: 4.4 Handicap Index
- ENTRY CLOSE: May 5